On Tuesday night, I was "inspired". I decided to take all of the information I know, and start compiling what I can for Mari-Grace's lifebook.
What is a lifebook? A lifebook is a book that will educate Mari-Grace on her life in China ... before the adoption. It is really difficult to remember this book is not about me ... or my feelings. It is designed to help her understand where she came from. It is designed to help her work thru the feelings and questions she will have growing up about her birth-parents and the country she lived in.
For any of you interested in creating a lifebook for your child ... there is a yahoo group I highly recommend. It is called ChinaLifeBooks. The moderators walk a person thru the lifebook creation from the introduction page to the end. They started at the beginning in January. The group discusses how to handle the difficult questions.
It has been very informative.
Now... you ask ... how can I create a lifebook when Mari-Grace isn't even here yet?
I organized my outline.
I made a list of the the things I want to include ... and on what page they need to appear on. I journaled the basics, and left room to add the details unique to Mari-Grace.
Of course, I can't put a lot on paper, but I can jot down ideas in an organized matter. I can organize papers, stickers, pictures, etc in the order they need to appear, then add details as I learn them.
It feels really good to have a sense of how this will work, it seems to be a daunting tasks for many families.
Let's just hope I can find the file when I'm ready to finish !!!!!
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



there's lots you can do as a waiting parent! Come visit my site and check out some more lifebook info! Including free tips and a monthly newsletter. Take Care beth O'Malley
ReplyDeleteauthro, adoptee and adoptibe Mom
www.adoptionlifebooks.com