Photobucket
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Feeding Tips

1. ) Organic baby food .... Plum Organics is a brand of baby food sold at Toys R Us and Babies R Us. It comes in a pouch with a twist off lid. It is squeezable. It is thin enough to pour into her mouth. There are a couple of other brands too ... Ella's Kitchen and Revolution Foods are the other 2 brands we've tried. So far, Mari-Grace likes them all.
2.) Rice Congee ... a good old Chinese Comfort food. Here is a quick recipe.
1 cup of Korean rice ( I use the sushi rice you can buy at the grocery store)
Soak for 8 hours in a little bit of water to release the starch.
Put in pot to with 1-2 cups of Chicken broth (or vegetable or beef broth)
Bring to a boil.
Add finely chopped carrots, onions, and chicken (or whatever meat you want)
I used matchstick carrots, onions, and a SMALL can of tyson white meat chicken breast ... all chopped with a food chopper until it was VERY fine).
Turn heat down and simmer until rice is cooked....add more broth to make a soupy consistency.
It will become thick and soupy.
When ready to feed to baby ... put a couple of heaping tablespoons full in a blender with enough broth to make soupy. Puree. Heat about 15 seconds in microwave.
YUMMO.
3.) Invest in an infant feeder ... Nuby makes one. Cut the end off the nipple so that the food free flows. You can aim the food easier with one of these.
If you can't find an infant feeder, a 4 ounce playtex nurser with a drop in liner works just as well.
THE FOOD HAS TO BE PRETTY LIQUIFIED !!!! NO CHUNKS OF ANYTHING !!
4.) In the baby food section , get rice cereal. It helps to give consistency, and keep her full longer. I mix it with milk and yogurt.
5.) Campbell's soup at hand .... the vegetable beef or creamy chicken are her favorites so far.
6.) To get medicine down her ... I bribe her with cotton candy. The candy melts on contact with spit, so there is nothing to chew or irritate her mouth.... works every time (thank you Mary Poppins )
7.) Pediasure milk shakes ... strawberry is the best !!! I add some of the baby food fruit puree to get a little more sustanance
..... as I think of more things ... I'll share.
Hope this helps someone else along the way !!!

1 comment:

  1. My 27 year old nephew just had surgery on Friday-mouth cancer-and has to be on a liquid diet for two weeks. I'm going to share your suggestions with him. At this point his seven month old son can eat more than he can.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.