I just realized that I forgot to post about MG's set-back in her lip healing.
MG has had a snotty nose ever since her last surgery. We went to the pediatrician ... and she suggested antibiotics, but since we had a ENT appointment the next day, she decided to hold the antibiotics and see what our ENT had to say. ENT said everything looked clear. No signs of infection on exam. She cleared us to have follow-up in 9 months.
We were giving antihistamines for allergies ... and the snot wasn't getting any better. Of course ... MG has learned to blow her nose since surgery .. but the constant wiping had her nose a bit irritated.
On Sunday ... I noticed that her lip seemed to look a little funny. It had a bump on it and was really red. I thought it was just from the snot.
On Monday of last week, we realized that what we were wiping wasn't green snot ... it was ooze from her lip. She had a pimple like place that everytime we wiped, it filled back up with ooze.
I jumped on the e-mail and got in touch with our surgeon's nurse. We started her on Bactroban ointment and the ENT clinic worked her in on Wednesday at noon. Sure enough, we had what appears to be an abscessed stitch. For some reason, the stitch didn't dissolve properly and became infected. So for the last week, we have had the terrible job of keeping the ooze cleaned out of her little lip. We've had to clean it 2-3 times a day with peroxide and use the antiobiotic ointment. It has been NASTY !!!!! And MG hates having us touch it ... even with a q-tip.
The good news is .... after 6 days on Bactrim Suspension and using the bactroban ointment ... her lip looks great. It has a little raw place that has scabbed over now ... but no more ooze !!!
For the first time since surgery ... I can actually see the outline of the cupid's bow on her upper lip.
To me ... it has just looked red and puffy. Now you can actually see the little indentation !!!She isn't crying anymore when I clean it ... which is a big indication that it is better.
She is also sleeping better ... not as whiny during the day ... and she is playing with Hannah !!!
Not to mention the fact that she's not stuck to me like super glue !!She had started hitting herself in the head or pulling her hair and fussing. We'd give her tylenol when she did that ... and she'd get better. I honestly think she had a sinus infection....and the pulling and hitting was a way to let us know she was hurting. Since she has been on antibiotics ... she hasn't pulled her hair or hit herself in the head once. The snot is gone too !!!
She is one amazing little trooper. I'll be glad when she can tell me where she hurts or that she doesn't feel good. I'm still learning her little cues, and sometimes, they are very subtle.
She has laughed and jumped and run and played more the last week than she has since surgery.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.