All that I can really say, when I look at these two pictures, is WOW !!! Absolutely amazing !
It is hard to believe how far that little nub with her 2 teeth stuck out prior to surgery. I have to admit that I wondered if it could be moved enough to really make a difference. I prayed that God would work thru Dr. Buckmiller and Dr. Hartzell during her surgery. Once again, I am truly in awe of HIS gifts to these two doctors. Her profile is amazingly different.
Now, how's Mari-Grace doing ??? It is 26 days since surgery. She's doing MUCH better during the day. She's laughing a lot, and playing. But nights are still really tough. She's just not sleeping thru the night. She sleeps about 2 hours, wakes up crying, goes back to sleep, sleeps about an hour to 2 hours, and then wakes up again. This goes on all night. When she wakes up, she wants to be held, standing up. If I try to sit down with her, the battle is on. She'll doze off, and I'll think she's out cold ... but the minute I lay her down, she wakes up crying.
I did figure out that she is waking up hungry in the middle of the night. Not because she asked for food or milk ... I actually offered and she refused. I heard her stomach growling ... yes growling louder than mine. I got her to settle down enough to try a bite of applesauce ... she downed the applesauce cup in about 3 minutes. She actually dozed off while eating ... and slept soundly the rest of the night. So ... now we have developed the bad habit of a midnight, or 2 am snack. I can't complain too much. After all, with my lap-band, I know what a liquid diet is like ... and sometimes, it just doesn't stay with you. She's 2 ... she can't help it if she's hungry in the middle of the night ... so I feed her.
As far as eating ... her stiches in the roof of her mouth look amazing. They are 3/4 of the way dissolved, therefore, we've been able to re-introduce some SOFT foods. For lunch today she had mashed green beans and and mashed macaroni and cheese. She can have non-pureed oatmeal now, and she loves cream of wheat with a little butter and sugar. She also likes chickena and dumplin's.
She's still wearing the NoNo's most of the time. We are far enough along now that she can come out fo them during the day when we can watch her and make sure nothing goes into her mouth. She still has to wear them at night ... mostly because she sucks her fingers for comfort. I'm afraid that she'll damage her repair with the finger sucking. So ... the NoNo' s stay on a bit longer. I do feel the NoNo's are contributing to her poor sleep. She just can't seem to get comfortable.
Today ... she started mumbling a few words. She can say Yay Yay Yay ... and Wo Ai Ni.
She calls me Ma. She can say Hannah and Maggie. M's are hard for her still ... but she tries. Aunt Kelley's dogs are "Ax" and "Ollie" now instead of Max and Mollie. She likes to say LaLaLa and growls at you when she wants your attention. She can also say Ice Cream.
I'm noticing that she is making more sounds than before surgery. That is good. I'm encouraging her to use words to tell me what she wants ... instead of grunting and pointing.
This MaMa is getting sleepy. While Mari-Grace is sleeping, I'm going to go to sleep too.
Goodnight all.



Thank you for the update. Hoping that the road to recovery continues on!
ReplyDelete