




In Feb 2007, I decided to create a "100 Good Wishes Quilt" for Mari-Grace.
It is a tradition in Northern China to give a pregnant woman pieces of fabric for a quilt. With each piece of fabric comes a good wish. It is said that when the child is wrapped in the quilt, she will be wrapped in the good wishes and good fortune of all of those who contributed.
I finished collecting my squares in June 2007. I have 165 from friends, family, and members of the yahoo group for the 100 good wishes quilt. I have posted pictures of the quilt lay-out.
In the center are 4 squares ... one represents God, as he should be the center of our lives. Next is a square that represents me, Mari-Grace, and her birth parents. These 4 squares are then surrounded by immediate family, extended family, friends, and on the outermost part are the squares from strangers who cared enough to send good wishes.
The quilt is going to be sewn with red thread ... in honor of the legend of the Red Thread.
I am very fortunate to have enough fabric to make a queen size quilt and a crib size quilt.
I have a scrapbook containing the wishes, with fabric samples, so that as Mari-Grace grows up, she can read the good wishes, and pick out who contributed what fabric.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.